Thursday, May 30, 2013

Philippines brand dried coconuts that tasted rancid, like plastic


I came home from Costco today with the back of Philippines brand dried coconuts that tasted rancid, like plastic or like oil that's been sitting out in the air in the sun for too long. You could immediately tell that something was not right from the smell after opening the bag. It literally smelled like plastic fumes. I've bought two bags of these before, about two months ago and four months ago from different batches with different expiration dates and both those bags tasted delicious. But this third bag tasted disgusting. I took a few bites and then had my mom tried as well and she said yeah something was definitely wrong with them. It felt like you were eating pieces of tried rubber plastic.

I checked the tiny little plastic packet which helps to absorb moisture. It's packaging was sound without any sign of leaking.

I think the culprit could have been that they doused the coconuts too much in antifungal preservatives. That's the only explanation I can think of because the texture of the coconuts were very chewy and fresh, but the taste was utterly disgusting. I will return this promptly and notify them of the strange taste. I hope the customer service rep doesn't just throw the back away instead and takes initiative to inform the manager and eventually the company who manufactures this product.

No comments:

Post a Comment